The workshop consists of 3 parts:
- Foundation: 2 days, 8h00 total
- Required for all participants.
- Architecture: 2 days, 8h00 total
- Aimed at technical product managers, solution architects, data infrastructure engineers, technology leaders, and
- Execution and Strategy: 1 day, 4h00 total
- Aimed at data executives, data strategists, program managers, and influencers.
Foundation is required for all participants, and you can optionally mix & match Architecture and Execution & Strategy
Data Mesh - Multi-component Tutorial
This Data Mesh tutorial is a comprehensive, hands-on and immersive experience, designed and presented by the founder of
Data Mesh, Zhamak Dehghani. It's offered in multiple parts to give you a complete and yet tailored experience based on
your role and interest. The content is drawn from real-world experience and principles of Data Mesh applied.
Data Mesh is a new decentralized socio-technical approach to managing data, designed to work with organizational
complexity and continuous growth. It enables large organizations to get value from their data, at scale, through
analytics and ML.
Data Mesh Foundation
This 8-hour tutorial is designed to give you a thorough understanding of the principles of Data Mesh and how they get
applied. This course is designed and recommended for all levels of participants, from data executives and decision
makers to data product managers, architects, data infrastructure engineers and other data practitioners. If you are
evaluating Data Mesh, or are somewhere on your journey adopting it, this course gives you a deep and holistic
understanding of the approach.
In this course, you learn and practice the following foundational topics:
- Motivations and objectives of Data Mesh and assess if they apply to your organization
- Comparison of Data Mesh to other existing data architectures
- Introduction and application of distributed domain ownership
- Introduction and application of data as a product
- Introduction and application of self-serve platform
- Introduction and application of federated computational governance
All foundational topics are designed to give you a deep understanding and an opportunity to apply the learnings to a
real-world scenario to practice the principles in context. The course is highly collaborative. You will be working in
teams and sharing your findings with a larger group of peers globally.
Data Mesh Architecture
This is an 8-hour tutorial designed for technical product managers, solution architects, data infrastructure engineers,
technology leaders and practitioners. This component is taken after the Data Mesh Foundation course and builds upon its
content and exercises.
In this course, you get a deeper understanding of the architectural components of a Data Mesh implementation and their
design. You will be presented with architectural concepts, design and sample code to solidify your understanding.
This course covers:
- Logical architecture of multi-plane data mesh platform
- Logical architecture of data (product) quantum and its affordances including:
- Multi-modal data sharing through output ports
- Multi-modal data ingestion through input ports
- Data quantum design in a multi-environment deployment
- Data quantum transformation
- Data quantum discoverability
- Data quantum observability
- Logical architecture of computational governance policies
In this course you get a deep understanding of logical architecture, through presentation material and hands-on
exercises. The course is highly collaborative. You will be working in teams and sharing your findings with a larger
group of peers, globally.
Data Mesh Execution and Strategy
This is a 4-hour course for data executives, data strategists, program managers, and influencers who lead a Data Mesh
strategy and execution in an organization. This course builds upon the Data Mesh Foundation course.
In this course, you will learn and practice the following subjects:
- Evaluation of an organization’s readiness for adopting Data Mesh
- Data Mesh strategy formulation
- Data Mesh execution model
- Tools to help you with an evolutionary execution model:
- Data Mesh maturity roadmap
- Data Mesh evolution metrics
In this course you will learn these topics through the presentation content as well as the hands-on group exercises. The
course is highly collaborative. You will be working in teams and sharing your findings with a larger group of peers,
This is a cutting edge concept and it feels exciting to be "in the know" right at the beginning. Zhamak clearly articulates her vision.
This workshop changed the way we think about delivering value with data as an organisation.
The workshop was both comprehensive and thought-provoking. The instructor had intimate knowledge of the subject matter based on real-world experience.
"Data Mesh: Delivering Data-Driven Value at Scale"
Zhamak Dehghani, O'Reilly Media 2022
We're at an inflection point in data, where our data management solutions no longer match
the complexity of organizations, the proliferation of data sources, and the scope of our aspirations to
get value from data with AI and analytics. In this practical book, author Zhamak Dehghani introduces
data mesh, a decentralized sociotechnical paradigm drawn from modern distributed architecture that
provides a new approach to sourcing, sharing, accessing, and managing analytical data at scale.
Dehghani guides practitioners, architects, technical leaders, and decision makers on their
journey from traditional big data architecture to a distributed and multidimensional approach to
analytical data management. Data mesh treats data as a product, considers domains as a primary concern,
applies platform thinking to create self-serve data infrastructure, and introduces a federated
computational model of data governance.